- Draft criteria established and programme piloted 2008-2010.
- National rollout began in 2011, supported by the Wellcome Trust.
- From 2013 onwards PSQM has been supported by partnership of University of Hertfordshire and the Primary Science Teaching Trust (PSTT), which subsidise the cost to schools.
- 2016 - team of 8 Senior Regional Hub Leaders established.
- 2017- PSQM criteria revised and new quality marks launched.
- 2-year large scale trial of PSQM to test impact on pupil attainment in science funded by Educational Endowment Foundation, began 2019.
- 4500+ schools have achieved a Primary Science Quality Mark since its launch in 2010.
- In 2021, over 10% of UK primary schools either hold a Primary Science Quality Mark or are working towards achieving one.
- PSQM is recognised by Ofsted and other organisations in science education as an effective vehicle for whole school improvement in science.
- There more than 90 trained and active hub leaders in the whole of the UK and wider afield.
- PSQM is UK wide with bi-lingual training and resources for Welsh speakers; and also works with British International Schools.